THOW

Thursday, May 5, 2016

Today, I traveled to the southern portion of Sequoia National Park to view the Sequoias, hike along the trails and meet with other people who sought the same enjoyment. As I traveled south into the National Forest, I was surprised about the lack of traffic. Yes, it's the middle of the week, however, there are vacationers everywhere, but, for some reason not here.  I noticed as the road climbed higher and higher, eventually to a height of 7200 feet, the large, no amazingly large number of dead confers. Ponderosa pines, incense cedars and sugar pines.

I knew the past four year drought had affected central California significantly, however, I was surprised at seeing the damage. According to the US Forest Service, over 10,000,000 trees have died in the last year alone. 10,000,000!!! A four year drought, rising temperatures and an infestation of the Western pine beetle and wreaked havoc for many southwest US forests.

Here are two links which post photos and commentary from last year; today's problem is even worse.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/earth-log/article26412484.html 

http://www.lanl.gov/discover/lab-science-in-the-news/climate-change-could-cause-massive-tree-die-off-in-us-southwest.php 

http://www.kaweahcommonwealth.com/news/10-million-trees-dead-sierra-and-counting 

When I arrived at the trailhead for the 100 Giants, I discovered, as did others who arrived at the same time as I, that the trail is closed indefinitely. Due to dead and dying trees, the trail is impassable because of falling timber. The US Forest has no idea when the trail will be reopened. 

I was unable to take any photos of the massive Sequoias. I recommend if you want to seek further information on this massive die-off of several national forests, search for "photos of Sequoia National Park dying trees". You'll be disheartened by what you find.




No comments:

Post a Comment